Sunday, March 6, 2011

W.o.W day (just like the game)

It is Sunday and the first full day I have had off in weeks.  I woke up bright and early today, showered and was out of the house by 9:30. I got to the metro station Charles de Gaule - Etoile (as in star) 45 minutes before I was set to meet fellow au pairs for church, so I had breakfast. I ate quickly, and then met Christina and another au pair from New Zealand at 10:30. We went to off to church. The au pair from New Zealand also is young, like me, and has 4 kids to look after as well. Her kids are more manageable, but the mom is awful. Church was fun. It was very contemporary, lots of singing like FUMCR youth group. It was bilingual and very young. The service was moving, and the young community there was amazing so I will be going back. I want to get involved in their young person programs to meet more people in Paris too.

After church we went to Subway (very American, I know). It even smelled like the Subways back home. Then Christina and I went to the Louvre, after stopping at a Starbucks. Also very American :). It was a quick trip to the Louvre, saw the Mona Lisa and Napoleon's apartments. It got me over the hump of being scared to tackle the Louvre, so I will be going back.
oh well hey there Mona


can I fit this in my room? -Louvre

dinner party anyone?

Christina and I parted ways and I went to the movies. I saw True Grit in English and loved it. The movie got out at about 9 pm so I went to have dinner at Chez Clement. I call it the Chili's of Paris, because they are everywhere. Mum and I ate there twice in the week she was here. They told me to sit and wait for a table when I got there, though it was not crowded at all. I am happy they did. While waiting I eavesdropped on a girl's conversation on the phone. She was speaking English, so I asked here where she was from. She too was from the States, Georgia to be exact. She was awesome and asked if I'd like to eat with here (way cool, and only something someone with Southern charm and class would do). She was amazing, here for business. She was a World of Warcraft promoter, meaning she went to conventions with the cool drab and everything. It was great company. She used to be a Disney Princess at Disneyland, but now was employed by W.o.W to attend conventions dressed as a dragon (too cool, I know). I know all you W.o.W fans will be jealous of my cool encounter. She was sweet. It is crazy that I came all the way to Paris and most of my friends have turned out to be Southerners from back in the States. Says something about how amazing people from the Southern United States are. In my opinion, the best people on Earth. I feel crazy for taking my chances and going to school in Philly now, when all (or most) of the great people in this world live in the South.
So cool!

To sum it all up, today was perfect. Probably the best day I have had in France thus far (not counting the time when I wasn't working and instead just being a tourist with my mom). Mad-Mad, I am so excited for you to come, I have lots of cool places to show you.  I could probably write about my day for hours, but most of you probably won't read a novel long blog. I feel like I am not doing my day justice, or the people in it that made it so amazing, but it was honestly a great, great day.

XOXO,
Mandy

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mandy, a friend of mine posted this of FB today. How appropriate! :-)

    I am proud to be from the South - where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; mac and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their ......heart blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you go to church? We mostly went to the American Church and it was great - we also went to another one that was more contemporary that I think was in the 8th. Glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, so glad you had a great day!!! And you are brave for talking to total strangers, even I don't usually have the courage to do that here yet hahaha. And also, most of my friends here are American and some of my closest are from Texas so don't worry, we just get each other!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!! Glad you had a lovely day :D Sundays are the best! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ lois - I love that! Thank you for your amazing words all they time

    @ Melinda - I went to Hillsong. It was held in the Bobino or Babino or something of the sort theatre. It was alot of rocking out fun. I still haven't made it to the American Church, but I need to soon.

    @ Kara - I don't talk to all strangers, just those who speak english. Texans are great! and it was great seeing you yesterday, Im happy we stalked you

    @ Lucy - Sundays are for sure the best!!! Hope all is well in Nancy

    ReplyDelete