Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Taxi Troubles

I went to the Irish Pub after I got off last night. It was packed for the Barcelona match, like super packed. I got pushed into 2 men sitting at the bar.  They helped me order, and I ended spending the rest of my time there with them and their friends. They all worked at the restaurant right around the corner. They were very nice and unlike anyone else I've met.  Despite their ability to speak English, they tried to make me speak French. If I met more people like that, I would be way more fluent than I am now. One of the men took a particular interest in me, so I got free drinks, because he said "Parisian men buy women drinks". On my salary, I was not going to complain. At the end of the night he pulled the whole "please kiss me, I have never kissed an American before" tactic. Had this been 3 and a half years ago, I would have fell for that one, but that is how I met my last boyfriend, and I am doing everything I can to not have a repeat of that relationship. We parted ways before the bar closed, and promised to go out again Friday, a planned encounter this time. The metro was closed, so I took a taxi home.

In the taxi, I had to pull out all my tricks for trying to tell him where I lived. This was the first time I actually got dropped off in front of my house, instead of blocks and blocks away.  At this house, if the key is pushed in on the inside, then your key on the outside won't work. Twice now I have had to wake S and J-F up to get inside the house, only because they took the key to the door to my room that leads to the outside away. Therefore, I do not feel bad, and if they cared, they would give me back my key. I went to my room, and began the mad search for my phone. It was gone, I must have left it in the taxi. I called it over and over again, with no answer. I was freaking out because I had just spent 100 Euro to recharge it. I called my parents and had no idea what to do. Just before I was about to give up and go to sleep, I called my cell again, and the taxi man answered!!!! yay! He brought back my phone. Who would have ever thought I would love a 2nd generation non-camera nokia phone so much.

Today Gabrielle is off school. I have to get the boys from school for the first time today, and go to FNAC to get Samuel a birthday present. His birthday is tomorrow. I am getting him that animated Star Wars movie. Considering my income, that's a pretty sweet gift.

Other than that, no plans for today. Josephine is back, praise God! And I won't be eating because since it is Ash Wednesday. I won't have time to make it to mass, I really wish I could go. Maybe I'll just watch the service at Notre Dame online while I force Gabi to do her homework.

XOXO,
Mandy

P.S.- My little sister is giving up talking for Lent, something I could never do. I can't think of what to give up. I don't eat sweets as it is. I am at the mercy of the family for food. I don't swear from working with kids all day. So I don't know what to sacrifice. Comment what you are giving up to help me with ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word that is so amazing that the taxi man brought your phone back! :)
    I have no idea what to give up either!! Being in France makes it very difficult.... pastries? Cheese? Wine? No way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i agree. all of those are to yum and I don't eat them everyday.. its tough, I would say like yelling at the kids, but then the house would be torn apart. I dont know

    ReplyDelete