Saturday, March 26, 2011

French kids are so whiny.

I thought I had just gotten a couple whiny kids in my first family. The boy there was an expert whiner. He whined every time you said anything at all to him. Then when I got fired I thought my experience with whining was over. Oh boy was I wrong...

Then I came to this family where no longer did I have 1 whiner, I had 4. Its awful. It must be a French child thing, but the whining in another language makes me crazy. They whine about everything. I know I was the master whiner as a kid, but this takes the cake. And it is not only my family where the kids whine I've observed. They whine in the school yard, and in the park. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I will have to record it and put a video up, because you will see exactly how insane it is.

Anyways, today I babysat all morning. Then I went to the Gardens at Luxembourg with Jasmine (the student from NYU). It is a beautiful place. I may even like it better than Tuileries, but it is harder to get to. 3 different metro lines to get there, makes for no fun. But I had a great day having some great girl talk for a couple hours this afternoon.

Tomorrow we are going to Hillsong together, which is always great. And remember those of you living in France, the time changes tomorrow so everything will seem an hour earlier for a while.

Tonight I am babysitting, which is never fun. I'd like it alot better if I got paid overtime, which will never happen. J-F and S are again having a dinner party here (the like zillionth since I've started working here). They take me for granted.

Oh yeah, Samuel was being especially awful today and I said, told him that because of him I was thinking about returning to the states, I asked him if he'd like to be the reason of my quitting (which is wrong) but he said yes, au revoir. The little devil. I don't know what to do to make the kids better here, since nothing I do holds any ground. But I am trying and praying. I know after this job anything I do will be a walk in the park.

XOXO,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know kids are the same universally. And you're right, you did your share of whining, but I really think Jeff wins that honor in our family. Sorry, Jeff. You just always wanted SOMETHING.

    Samuel loves you. They all do. And you need to love them back even when it's hard. You are their up close and personal view of America and Christianity. Love, forgiveness, discipline.

    But, you're way stronger than me. I'd be crying every day and probably spanking a LOT.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my mom used to say that there is something wrong with kids that are too quiet or perfect. She'd say it is the ones that drive you nuts that are the smart ones. So, maybe you are actually dealing with intelligent mini-life forms afterall :-)

    ReplyDelete