Monday, March 21, 2011

Mater

I had another great Sunday. I don't care if it makes me a bad au pair. Sundays without children will forever be my favorite days here. And besides no children means no dealing with their parents, so who can blame me?

Maddie and I woke up early and headed out. We went to the McDonalds down the street, because I wanted a sausage biscuit for breakfast. I started in French ordering a sausage biscuit, but that didn't work. Then I tried English, pleading with the guy. Also didn't work. In France they serve pancakes with nutella for lunch. I began to try and argue with the man.  Madison stood behind me looking horrified. Eventually I gave up and had to walk away to keep from yelling at him. I only wanted 1 dang sausage biscuit.

After breakfast we got on the metro to meet a new friend Mr. Jordan Fein introduced me to - a fellow NYU student studying abroad in Paris. We went to Hillsong together. I think any young person in the Paris area should go to Hillsong. It's pretty cool.

After church, Madison and I went to Champs Elysse. It's the only place in Paris with places open on Sundays. We went in search of getting me a new French cell phone. Madison was happy there were crepe stands, and got one with Nutella. She loved it. I think there are 2 kind of people, ones who love crepes and ones who don't. I am in the latter category. We stopped in the Restaurant my "French boyfriend" works at and got free coffee and some good company for a bit. The place was empty. Madison giggled as we tried to speak to each other, but in her defense, I bet it is pretty hilarious. Then we went grocery shopping for things Madison wanted to bring back to the states with her. She got applesauce in pouches, madeleines, chocolate, and wine (not for herself). Sounds all pretty French to me.

We decided to end her French stay here at my mom's and my favorite restaurant in Paris, Chez Clement, or the Chili's of Paris I like to call it. We were loud and obnoxious, like any good American should be when eating out in France. We headed over to the trusty pub after dinner. We met 4 American men here on business. They all grew up in either Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana, so they spoke with Southern drawls. One even graduated from Richardson High School and grew up on the street behind my house. Small world huh? Well they all live in the Dallas area now, and one (picture Mater from Cars) offered me the position to nanny for his son who will be born in July for twice what I make here. They made me miss the states so badly. At this point I'm thinking I'll be going back at the end of July. Only a crazy would ever leave TX.

XOXO,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. According to google translate, sausage biscuit in French is "biscuit saucisse", maybe that would work. Too bad the menu is up so high, or maybe you could point to it! :-)

    I'm betting that your being an au pair, a "once in a lifetime opportunity" is just that! Can't wait to see where life adventures take you after you're back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they only have pancakes, kiwi on a stick and english muffins with eggs for breakfast in French McDonalds. But you can get a beer haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiwi on a stick???? huh... sounds just a tad silly to me. Wouldn't do much to fill me up! A beer at McD's... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only a crazy would ever leave Texas. Love it!

    ReplyDelete