Thursday, March 24, 2011

FRENCH PEOPLE ARE SO RUDE!!

Yesterday I got the boys from school. benjamin was on a field trip and got back 45 minutes late, so for an hour I had Samuel running wild, getting restless waiting outside. Then after the wretched walk home with 2 awful children, I had to turn and go get Elsa from daycare. At least its been nice outside.

I read while they played in the garden. I got an amazing book called The Shack. I know I have recommended a couple of books throughout my stay here, but this is for sure a must read. All was going fine, and then Josephine suddenly decided it was time to go bathe the boys. I took them downstairs, leaving my purse and my book. Nothing out of the ordinary, since this is suppose to be my house and all I think I am entitled to leave my stuff out for 30 minutes then get it. The latter part of that statement it more than the other people that live here do.

So I bathed the boys, while they splashed me till I was dripping wet, thinking it was hilarious. I on the other hand did not. When I first started working here, they boys at least half listened to me, but something has changed and they literally don't listen to a word I say. I think Benjamin is behind this change of heart. When the boys were out of the bath and I was getting pajamas on them, J-F came home. 10 minutes later, he calls down to me saying my purse is open and the contents are everywhere. He then went on to say, Elsa found cigarettes in my bag and they too were scattered about. I know, before you all judge, which in my opinion you have the right to, smoking is a nasty habit. In my defense everyone in Paris does it, and somehow I picked it up going to the pub. But that makes me look worse I think.. the whole if everyone was jumping of a bridge would you do it. I have and never will smoke in front of a child though, and I never have and never will smoke at their house. I guess you could say, as there are social drinkers, I am a social smoker, doing it with company at the pub. Whatever. As I was trying to gather the contents of my purse, Gabrielle stood there yelling.. "you fumer?!" (Fumer is smoke in French). All four of the kids, J-F and Josephine just watched me. There was no point in saying no, but I was not about to say yes. I just took the stuff and went to my room. Unluckily for me, dinner was 10 minutes later. I had to sit at a table with all of them for 40 minutes, while Gabrielle continued to ask me questions. J-F at one point said it was none of her business but she still pressed the subject. I guess that proves that I have never smoked in front of a kid while I have been here. The whole while, dreading when J-F decided to talk to me about it. He still hasn't said more on the subject and neither has Sandrine, so it may be over. And I still need to thank Josephine for watching Elsa for the 15 minutes I was downstairs bathing the boys. Whatever.

Today I did the normal morning routine, then decided to get out of the house and spend all day reading at the Tuileries Garden. It was a magnificent afternoon. I met a man who worked at the Louvre and thought I was French (I believe because I didn't have makeup on today). And he circled all of the places on my map of where I should go before I left. Very cool.

Today, again, I got the boys. I think that if I died and went to hell, that would be exactly what awaited me. Samuel doesn't listen to a word I say, I get stares by people on the street, glaring into me, "control these kids." I really have no idea what to do. They are uncontrollable. Then on the bus, it was full, but eventually 2 seat opened up. The boys get in less trouble when confined to a seat. I stood at the end of the bench keeping them from leaving their seats. When the bus turned, I got jolted into a man sitting down. He gave me a look of death, and I apologized, but for the remainder of the ride, if looks could kill, his would have. Then about 7 or 8 stops from ours, 2 blond middle aged bimbos got on. One said to me that the boys had to give up their seats for older passengers. I looked at her with disbelief. Then she reached around me to help Samuel from his seat. I looked at her, and said are you kidding me? She just said thank you and sat down. THE FRENCH ARE SO RUDE! I have 2 of the worlds most misbehaved kids and you want them to stand, and run around the bus. Its days like these that especially make me miss the kindness of the people back home.

Anyways, I have to go watch the kids play outside, before Josephine does something else to spite me.

XOXO,
Mandy

3 comments:

  1. Well, what can I say Mandy... except "mamma said there'd be days like this, days like this my mamma said!" (It really is a song, haha).

    Re: The Shack. How uncanny you should be reading this right now. Just yesterday I recommended it to a friend in Austin. My copy is even on the top of one of my stacks of books. Excellent read. I will be very interested for your thoughts, especially the last part of the book. Heck, I may re-read it myself.

    Re: Cigarettes. Well, as a surivor of six cancers including the cancer that took my left lung... I think you can guess my thoughts on that. Just remember, life is about choices; sometimes we make good ones, sometimes we don't. It's all up to you. Good luck.

    Hugs from sunny Richardson! Love & Hugs, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandy,

    Just a word of caution: I've had countless friends tell me they were "social smokers" that only do so when at the pub (because yes, most of them were studying abroad at the time too, so they were at pubs), and within months had become full on chain smokers. Just in case you wanted to keep it at "social smoker," be aware that the transition to full-blown smoker can be extremely quick.

    In other news, one of my favorite things to do in Paris was read in the Tuileries gardens! It was so beautiful and nice!

    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, Mandy, Mandy.

    You know what I think about smoking. Not cool. You missed out on one of the best grandpas in the world because of it. You are committed to the patch when you get back to America, right?

    I have to give you props for being really honest here. You lay your cards on the table for all to see and criticize or praise. That will serve you well in the future.

    No generalizing about the French, girl! You have had plenty of really good experiences with wonderful French people. There are jerks everywhere in the world. Dad and I have had our share of encounters just recently while campaigning... well not in person, but through the blogosphere.

    Love you and pray for you daily for strength and wisdom as I hope you pray for me.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete