Tuesday, March 22, 2011

So, you're thinking about becoming an au pair..

Here is some advice I have for those of you who read my blog, in research of being an au pair.


  • Do not work for a family with more than 3 kids, I never thought the jump from watching the occasional 3 to a family with 4 would be big, but its HUGE.
  • Find a family with kids who are well behaved or semi well behaved. If they parents say, "they're kids" RUN!
  • Try to talk to the former au pair before, and ask a ton of questions.
  • Don't get a job where you'll be the families 1st ever au pair.
  • Get a schedule, and sign a contract. I still haven't and I am working 25 hours more than is allowed by law.
  • Try and find a family who will pay for your French courses. If not, they cost your entire income. 
  • Don't work for Ivy League graduates. Especially not French Ivy League graduates. 
  • Make sure you are not taking a kids room, or the kid will forever think it is there room, and therefore think she has the right to go in it and rummage as she pleases.  
Thats all I can think of at the moment. I think if I put it in an advice forum, it doesn't look like I am complaining. (better Pops?) :) 

Tonight I am hoping I'll be able to go out. I got invited for drinks with a New York businessman working in Paris for a couple weeks. He seems nice, and nothing is better than free drinks (especially on my salary).

I miss Madison already, I started talking to myself last night, I took for granted having an English speaker always around here to talk to. I hope everyone likes their gifts she brought back.

XOXO,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. Love this!

    I talk to myself too (but then, I'm the only person prepared to listen to me!)

    Have you seen Lauren's thought's on being an au pair (The Au Pair Project - http://sincerely-lauren.blogspot.com/)

    All the best

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! Oh brilliant!!
    Love the advice, although I'm my family's first au pair and they don't flog me at all and pay pretty well.... I guess they didn't know what they could get out of an au pair and are being super-nice to me!

    Keep going, it's character-building! (This is what I keep telling myself...)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy the puzzles in the Eiffel tower box are so cute!!!! Mirabelle wanted to do the puzzle immediatly!! The tin full of candy with her name on it, is just fabulous!! That is so neat it says Mirabelle!!! She will love the candy!!! That was so nice!!! She will have them both forever too!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

    Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gift! It will come in handy this summer! (Richard loves his too!) So kind of you to think of us. Love your list... I bet you'll approach every new endeavor differently from now on. Whether you are renting/buying a house, going to see a new doctor. interviewing for a job or new college, etc., a list of pros/cons and general questions & considerations are alway good to help make wise decisions.

    So glad you are beginning to understand how "the world turns" at your young age. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete