Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hmmmm.

Yesterday, the part when I wasn't working, was a blast. I met Lucy, an au pair from Nancy (you should all check out her blog too) at Tuileries. Tuileries is becoming my favorite place.  After all, it was my 4th time there in the short 4 weeks I have been here. We walked through the park and found a reasonably priced restaurant. I got a cheese and fruit salad and we shared wine. It was delicious.


Lucy and Me!
After lunch, we decided to go to Sacre-cours. I have no idea if I spelled that right, but I am too lazy to google it at the moment. It translates to sacred heart, if that helps. Little did I know, you have to walk up like A MILLION stairs to get there, no exaggeration. Helped to burn off the wine at least though. The view was worth it, and the church was magnificent. It was cloudy, but you could still make out the outlines of all of Paris' sites from up there. Lucy and I parted ways, she had to catch a train home, and I had to get the wonderful Gabrielle from school. 

I went to get Gabrielle from school on the scooter to minimize her complaining. I didn't bring a snack this time because last time I did, and she didn't want it. She asked for her snack, with a kit-kat already in her hand. I said I didn't bring one, due to home being 7 minutes away, but I offered her a piece of gum. Then she expected me to run along side her on the scooter, to get home quicker. To those of you who know me, I am no runner, and if being chased by a hungry lion, I would probably not even try. On top of that I got my workout in earlier in the day by all those dang stairs. She tried to pull the run because I must go P-P, and I replied, she was no princess, in fact she was only a little girl, and the sooner she learned her place, the easier her life would be. She's learning a lot more English these days and I think she got the gist. But her face did light up when I said princess. I think this child really thinks she is a princess and everyone in her life should do exactly what she says when she says it. I can't blame her though. It's just the way she's been raised.

So, we got home. She was in no hurry to P-P, but rather to try and grab 2 full sized chocolate bars from the cabinet. The French have cabinets full of chocolates and cookies, I am starting to find out. How the hell do they stay so tiny?!? But I told her there was no way that on my watch, would I allow a little girl to eat 2 chocolate bars for an after school snack. Besides she already ate a kit-kat on the way home. She yelled "but my mom says yes." I simply said but I say no, and while your mom is not here what I say goes. I offered her a sandwich, yogurt, fruit, even 2 cookies in exchange. She would not hear of it. She ran to the phone and frantically started dialing numbers. After 10 minutes of trying to call her mom with fail, she gave up, and again tried to grab chocolate bars. I again said there is no way you are eating that with me watching you. Finally when she saw I really wasn't going to give in to her (like she's used to) she agreed to eat a sandwich. She even helped get all of the stuff out to make it. If I had a month alone with these children, things could really turn around, but how it stands now, I am at the bottom and I have no say, no respect, no anything. 

After Josephine got home with the boys, I went to get Elsa from school. We got home and Samuel was relatively well behaved. I walked downstairs to see what he was up to, and he was bathing himself without being asked.  I thought it showed great fortitude and growth on his part, so I opened the door to hear if he needed me and let him be. He got dressed and asked me to play with him. Just as we were going into Elsa's room to play, Josephine came down seeing Samuel in PJ's and promptly told him to get back in the bath, so she could do it. I realize a 4 year olds quality of bathing himself probably isn't up to par with her standards, but I don't see why, for one night, she could just be happy that he did something by himself, and during the process wasn't a terror. He cried during the whole second bath. 

We had spaghetti for dinner, and all was good. Sandrine's mum came over because J-F is out of town. She decided to stay for bedtime to help out as well. There was a blow up last night at bedtime. While Sandrine was playing with Elsa, her mum helping Benjamin with homework, I was to entertain a tired Samuel. He is obsessed with Bakugan, and always wants to watch videos on line and cut out pictures. So, I turned on the computer for him to find and print out a picture of his beloved Bakugan. We had just printed one when Gabrielle who believes she is entitled to everything decided to rip the mouse from my hands and kick Samuel out of the seat. I told her she was a rude little girl, but I am not really allowed to protest, when the parents are home.  Their kids, especially Gabi, get what they want. Well somehow that prompted Benjamin to get up from doing homework, and Samuel started to scream. I switched positions with Sandrine, so she could deal with her children, and I played with Elsa. The screaming and fighting got out of hand very quickly, and the kids were all put in their beds. They cried forever, but I wasn't going to console them for being rotten. They eventually cried themselves to sleep. I think it was the earliest they have ever gone to bed. 9 or so. You could tell they were rested this morning and there was no crying and saying I don't want to get up. Hopefully this can be a testament of how these kids need more structure.

After I got the kids ready for school today, I went to my room to read. Gabi doesn't have school on Wednesdays, and the second her mom left (though Josephine is here), she walked into my room with posters and tape, trying to redecorate. I asked her to please wait until after I was gone to do that, because for the time being it was my room, and she said no it's not, it is my room, only your bed to sleep at night. I know she isn't naive to think of it that way, she was told that by, I am assuming, J-F. The living situation here is becoming worse than a dorm room, because at least then I would have at least half a room to myself, but no. Not here. And I get paid so crappy because room and board is suppose to be part of it. Well my room is a bed in a little girl's room, who along with her father, think they are entitled to go and rummage as they please. As for board, it is working out ok, though I did ask for hand soap for my bathroom 2 weeks ago and have yet to see it. 

That is all

XOXO,
Mandy

4 comments:

  1. I think those kids need to go to bed earlier! Then maybe they would be more manageable during the day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Sounds like you had a hectic day after we parted!! I totally feel your pain! I was alone with the little one last night and he would not go to sleep till midnight, crying because he wanted his mum... it's so horrible!
    I do hope you find a better position soon.
    www.findaupair.com was where I got my job...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am thinking about being a nounou, live out nanny. They get paid way more, and I would have my own space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an excellent plan!!

    ReplyDelete