Sunday, January 16, 2011

that was fast.

So today I woke up and went to church, had a lovely morning. Then I came home and went to the house to have lunch with the family. We had fondu and for desert an apple crumble that sweet Caroline made. Then I sat down to have coffee with the parents.

And just like that they ran me over with a truck.

Brigitte looked at me and said what happened Wednesday? I again explained the story where my card got declined at the cafe, and so I was walked out side by the owner, and they pointed me to the nearest atm. So in the confusion, language barrier, and panic, yes, I stupidly left your 5 year old alone for less than 5 minutes. Then they yelled at me for taking her to a cafe in the first place, they acted as if it was a crack house. I explained that in america cafes places are where you get coffee and a bite to eat, and if I don't remember correctly on my first day here you took me and your youngest 2 to a cafe. Then they continued they had to let me go, and on top of that Marc-Etienne doesn't like me. Well I've see the kid a total of 3 days since I've been here. Sorry. I then again apologized and asked if there was anything I could do to change their mind, and they said no. They said I could stay in the studio till I make plans home, but then came up to it and asked if I needed help with the train, so I dont think I'm welcome here. I am going to stay in a hotel in Dijon till Saturday morning then take a train to Paris to meet my mom. I am staying in Paris till the 30th, then coming home, unless I find another family in the mean time.

I think this is total crap, and I am very mad. I need to get in contact with the American Embassy to see what my rights are in this situation. For example a plane ticket home.

Comment with advise!

8 comments:

  1. Do you want to talk to Lucie? Maybe her parents can be of some help? Maybe you could stay with them until your mom comes... I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its cheap to paris on saturday, i already got a hotel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MY! I guess you should just chalk this up to experience and know that you have gained about ten years of maturity through this adventure. I hope you can find another family because your French year should not end here!!! Bless the Dunns' hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it was a learning lesson and experience. I'm sorry it did not work out. Do you plan on finding another family? Have a great time in Paris with your mom!! What a fun mother daughter trip!!!

    Sarah Fooshee~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you. Saw your dad at church this morning - so sorry this did not work out for you. I guess it's off to another adventure for you. Have fun with your mom in Paris - it is such a great city!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandy--I've been reading your blog. So sorry to hear that it turned out to be a poor experience. Just remember that things happen for a reason and maybe it was not meant to be this time. You should keep studying French and maybe put an ad in their newspaper (do they do that?) to see if anyone needs an au pair, or English lessons. You could even ask around at your school to see if anyone needs assistance so at least you can have a temporary job. You may still be able to save your trip, enjoy France and have a better experience. Don't be discouraged. Wishing you the best from Pennsylvania. - J. Elmo

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ sarah, i am looking for another family, but i am rather turned off to this whole experience. With the way this last thing turned out, I am looking, but wouldnt be too disappointed if I do not find a job, and just return home.

    @ melinda, Thank you! I am so excited for Paris!!!

    @ Elmo, thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete