Thursday, January 13, 2011

Payback

I really love writing about my day. Its like a venting process, so I am sitting here, cheap glass of wine in hand, writing about my not so splendid day.

Needless to say, I did not get fired yesterday, though after the events that went down today, part of me (a very large part of me) wishes I had. I woke up at 6 am and to no surprise it was raining out side. I had breakfast and walked to school. Class starts at 8 am on Thursday and the sun doesn't come out until at least 9:15. So I walk to school in the dark, with a hurt ankle, in the rain. Yay. Class went well, I think I am beginning to learn at least enough to get a sense of what people mean. After class I went to a restaurant and had a salad, wine, baked chicken and fries. For desert I had creme brulee, yum yum! Then I walked home to take a nap. I woke up to get the children from school.

Raphaelle was in a cranky mood and pouted the whole way home. When we got home I turned on the TV for Raphaelle so I could do homework with Marc-Etienne. He had a fit and refused to do homework with me, but finally calmed down and did it. Then Gabrielle got home with a pie plate she had left in her locker since November, with caked on pie and everything. I needed the pan to make dinner for the kids, we were having a spinach tarte with goat cheese, so I asked her to please wash the pan for me. She said no. Then I said please, so I can cook for you. Again she said no. I don't have to listen to you she said and you wash dishes not me. I then informed her, she is to do what I say, and I am the au pair, not maid. She still refused so I said she would not be allowed to eat dinner with us then. I heated her up the soup from last night, which I knew she didn't like for her dinner. Then we all ate, except for Gabrielle, she said she didn't want soup, and took a shower. When the dad got home I informed him of the situation and why there was a bowl instead of a plate in front of Gabrielle's place at the table. He replied, oh they're not used to washing dishes. And he served her the tarte. Yay, so now I'm the bad person. Then I put Raphaelle to bed. When I started to walk downstairs, the dad met me and I informed him, it wasn't the fact that she wouldn't wash the plate, it was the lack of respect and the words I don't have to listen to you. I have been quite emotional this last couple of days and when I explained that I began to cry.

I swear I am totally freaking out these people with all my tears, but its that damn weather and exhaustion thats causing it (I hope). He finally realized the situation, and he made Gabrielle apologize. Then he let me get off work. They think I'm insane I'm sure but whatever. As my dad would say, "such is life."

On a happy note, I got a package from my family today, chalked full of scarfs :) Thank you millions! I love them all! And I love yall tons!

Anyways, I'm going to finish my glass of wine, and go to bed. Tomorrow I do it all again, so wish me luck.

XOXO,
Mandy

6 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading about all you adventures!I'm sure everything will get better, just give it time :)
    I'm glad her dad made her apologize,they will be washing dishes before you know it!
    Just remember tomorrow is another day and hopefully you will get some time to your self soon.
    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandy!

    I just found your blog! I'm a 19 year old New zealand girl, currently living in Australia with my family :) I love all things French, and am hopefully heading to France in August to study for a year.

    I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad day :( This is just a stage of immersion/culture shock. Just know that it will pass. Things will get better with time.

    The kids are going through an adjustment too, just stand strong! You'll win them over and have them washing dishes like pros in no time!

    Btw, I also experienced the card thing when I was in France in 2008. My card had been working fine, then all of a sudden it refused to draw cash from a certain machine! I spiralled into a complete panic, but then would you know, then next day it was working again! Technology, huh?!

    I hope you're feeling much better now! Take some time to yourself, and tomorrow will be a better day :D:D

    ~ Amanda in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. where in france will you be in august?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, I have this theory that every crappy day brings you just that closer to an amazing day. You're just a bit overdue. Hey, I checked out your weather forecast on www.weather.com. Sunday should be glorious. Sunny and 51 degrees! So, start thinking about something fun to do then look forward to it! Love ya, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Lois you are the angel with good news I was hoping for!

    ReplyDelete