Friday, January 14, 2011

Sales time!

As you may have guessed from the title, it's sales time in France. These sales times are mandated by the government. Crazy right?

So I woke up and got ready. I ate the usual breakfast, and started walking into the center of the city in search of good shoes. I got lost and ended up in a handbag store, so I bought a bag. Its a black leather, across the body bag. And hey, it was on sale :). Though I don't know if I've ever bought a more expensive purse. Then I finally found the shoe store. I got the ugliest, most comfortable shoes in the world. But to hell with fashion, hello comfort! I'm an au pair in a country where I can't speak the language, who do I have to impress?

For lunch I went to a restaurant and got a ham and cheese sandwich. Classy, I know. Then I walked home, but after I went in the bar where I have made at least semi-friends with people. Hung out there for a bit, had a drink and mustered up the courage to attempt to take Dijon's public transportation.

At the bus stop, I asked a girl standing there 'Tu parle Anglais?' She replied yes, turns out  she was british and here for study abroad. So she explained the bus situation and I rode it nearly all the way home. Still had a 8 minute walk, but thats nothing compared to the time it would have taken me.

After I got home and relaxed a bit, it was time to get the kids. For some reason, I am usually the first person there and Marc-Etienne is the last kid to come out. Joy right? After standing in the school yard with an overly hyped up Raphaelle, Mare-Etienne decided to grace us with his presence. But no, he was not ready to leave yet, he had to go to the school library to get a book first. I really should invest in a crown for him.

Finally, it was time time to walk home. I walked slow so the kids would run back and forth and get tired out so they would be easier to manage. We got home and the parents were home too. Overall the kids were a TON better today. They must have been told they would get a beating if they made me cry again. Ha.

I am quite lonely here and need to make some quality friends pronto. Its sad when the highlight of my Friday night is blogging and going to bed early.

I may hit up some of Dijon's museums tomorrow, to get a break from the house, and hopefully interact with some fellow english speaker. One's that are over 12 years old.

Today was alot better than yesterday!

XOXO,
Mandy

3 comments:

  1. OK... so now you know what it is like to be lonely even though you are surrounded by people. A life lesson for sure. But, the good thing is realizing what's happening and knowing it is just a temporary thing. You are there for the experience, and so far, you have not been let down... LOTS of experience(s). :-) Mandy, believe me... this time in France will help make you the person you are to become. So, just be patient and surround yourself in the moment. Love & hugs from Texas. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Lois!! And what an experience!!! I love reading your blog!!! Have fun at the museums and have a chocolate croissant for me this weekend!!!;)

    Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Man-Man, you are starting to sound like someone we know. NO not your mother!!!
    I will leave it at that.

    You have so many cheering you on. You are such a strong young lady with very proud parents standing behind you!

    When I tell folks what you are doing; the response is always "how awesome is that" & "man I wish I would have done something like that"!

    While this GREAT country of ours was settled many years ago with pioneers; I look at you as adventurest as they were. Settling a new frontier! Of course with modern conveniences...

    Love you Mandy Rosie :-)

    ReplyDelete