Tuesday, January 11, 2011

rain, rain, go AWAY

All it seems to do in Dijon is rain. I've been here for 11 days now, and it has rained probably 7 of those days. It's miserable walking in the rain. I am cold and wet, and all I want to do is sleep. I guess on the bright side, it's better than snow.

O.K. so today I woke up. Took a shower. Made oatmeal with strawberry jam for breakfast. Then attempted to wash some clothes. I loaded it, put in soap, and could not for the life of me figure out to turn it on. I guess I'll just have to wait for the twins to get home to assist me in turning on the damn thing. Then I went of a hunt for my umbrella. I could not find it anywhere, and I sure as hell wasn't going to venture out in the rain without it. After a 20 minute search, I found it. It was in the pocket of the last jacket I wore. Should have looked there first. Blah. Then I walked to school. I wasn't suppose to go in today, but I'll be damned if I don't learn enough french to at least communicate on a kindergarden level in the next month. I stopped by a local bakery on the way and got a salmon tomato sandwich thing and a chocolate croissant. I stayed at school a while and did some worksheets. Then I went to a cafe for a coffee. I was so cold I just held it for a while. Then I went to Sephora to get some nail polish and coconut scented lotion and a loofa. Then I walked into H&M, yes they have one here! I got a sweater dress because I was cold, I felt like it was a good investment. Then I went to another cafe and got a vin chaud (hot wine). It tastes like christmas, I think I'm in love. Then I bought a present for my parents and went to the post office and mailed it to them. So, mum and dad, let me know when you get it. Then I went to the flower shop and bought my weeks flowers for my flat. I guess I needed some retail therapy to combat the loneliness, cold and exhaustion. I walked home and now I'm sitting here bored and tired, about to go get the kids.

List of things I hate:

  • rain
  • walking
  • not speaking french
  • the cold
  • huge lunches and small dinners
  • rain
  • blisters
  • hurt feet
  • bathtubs with hoses
  • being poor
List of things I love:
  • my job
  • being in france
  • wine
  • coffee
  • living in france
  • french food
  • being alive
Love and miss you all! 

7 comments:

  1. You remind me of Rachael Rae when she use to go on thise eating trips. Suggestion...She used roller skates on one of her episodes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it can't possibly rain forever! And, just think, by the time the weather warms up, you'll be rattling on in French with the zillion new friends you will have made.... love, love, love your blog.... makes me feel like I am part of your experience too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. come join me :) we would have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy Rose!

    I get a chuckle every time I read this and so many folks are thoroughly enjoying this blog. I get so excited when I go to the site and there's a new blog entry.

    So sorry it's been raining. Thank goodness we packed an umbrella. I bet you wish we had sent the rubber boots too.

    I can't wait to get a package! So unexpected. I bet you get yours by the end of this week. Let me know.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope this posts. Love your blog of course. I think I prefer snpw to rain b/c rain just permeates. I hate that you have to walk everywhere. Any chance of getting a bike or even better a scooter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bike, but I am out of shape so I'd rather walk for now. lol :) And the drivers her are a tad crazy so i think legs (for now) are the safest route for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your doing great mandy. Keep it up and you will learn the language, the rain will stop and there will always be more wine.

    j

    ReplyDelete