Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cheeseburger in Paradise

This blog will be a summary of food.

Since arriving in Dijon on Thursday, Mandy and I have had the most wonderful meals together.  If I learn one thing from the French, it will be to treat the meal as an event.  This is really basic and even biblical.  The food we have had is ranked near the top of all I have had in my life, and coming from Louisiana that means a lot.

We had provencial French at Dijon cafes.  The fish I had at Mandy's favorite cafe in Dijon is still my favorite meal of this trip.  Escargot and chocolate mousse was fantastic.  While in Paris, we've had traditional French (another fish dish on leeks was my 2nd favorite and croque monsieur a close 3rd), Japanese sushi, Italian pasta and pizza, Tex Mex in Versailles (but not really), Indian (Mandy loves curry and I had lamb with coconut and cashew sauce - wonderful), and .... American - a cheeseburger, fries and a coke at Euro Disneyland!

And of course, I have become accustomed to wine with every meal... the kind of wine that doesn't give you a headache the next day.  Does this have to do with the lack of sulfites?

Disney was fun.  There are two parks - Disneyland and Disney Studios.  We were selective on our choice of rides and attractions at both.  Absolutely NO lines today.  We walked on Space Mountain and screamed our whole way through.  It was a wonderful, relaxed day of American excess.

Mandy had her first night with the Cahns.  She got along great with their current day-time babysitter/cook Josephine who is an older woman from Africa.  The kids are very normal and the parents are very nice and similar to Scott and me.  Mandy is very comfortable with her new arrangement and they are excited to pick up her stuff on Saturday and for her to arrive to live there on Sunday.  Mandy's duties will be primarily getting the children ready for the day in the mornings since Josephine has an established routine in the evening.  Josephine was happy to have Mandy to help do the kids' laundry and ironing - although I'm afraid Mandy has not had much experience with the latter.  Mandy will live on the bottom floor of the 3-story home with the children.  She has a separate bath and external entrance to her bedroom, but it's not like the apartment she had in Dijon.  That's just fine with her.  She will take a 3-month French course beginning next month, and she'll return to Texas at the end of July.  I think this will work out just fine, but if not, we have an escape plan.  The de Rostolans already let the Cahns know that Mandy is welcome to go to their home if she needs a break.   We are so happy with this arrangement.

I fly back to reality on Sunday.  Tomorrow will be a laid-back sort of day for us.  They gave her a cell phone so we will pre-pay service on it at a cell store and then perhaps go to Galleries Lafayette which is a skyscraper sort of mall.

Mandy will post pictures from today on her FB.  I hope we are not boring you.  Please post a comment to let us know America is still alive and well.  CNN and BBC give us skewed views of news.  They cover the world - what's up with that?  I stare at the French TV stations and pretend to understand.  Oh The Bachelor, where art thou?

Love to all from Par-ee!
Lisa

8 comments:

  1. Lisa, I have enjoyed reading about your adventures. We are still here. The psycho lady on The Bachelor this season is a hairdresser from SLC named Michelle. Somehow, you know she will go far in the game. I am embarrassed that I like to watch it. Must be a primeval vouyeristic instinct.

    I love the fact that you have back-up plans and exit strategies for your daughter. I am taking a page from your book of life lessons.

    Can't wait to see your smiling face back in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many mothers and daughters get to realize an adventure such as this? Very few I suppose. And, thanks to your blog, we are there right along with you! My day isn't complete until I find out what the Dunn's have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sis,
    TravelHD is looking for a new narrator/MC.....Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, she is NOT free until after May 14.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading the blog!!! Sounds like you two have had a great time together!! The food sounds wonderful!!

    Sarah Fooshee~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are both having a wonderful time. I'm glad you decided to stay and turn a bad situation into a new adventure. I hope the new arrangement works out well for you. Fun fact: Two of our sisters got stuck at Euro-Disney overnight and had to wait until the trains opened the next morning to leave. Life is an adventure. Good luck with the new family! - Jen Elmo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my 4 a.m. feedings because I get to catch up with the wonderful world of being an au pair! Well, it should be wonderful now that you're with a wonderful family. My baby and I wish you well so that we can continue to read about you early in the morning!

    ~Shelli

    ReplyDelete