Thursday, January 6, 2011

je suis etudiante!

I woke up at 7:00 today and got ready for class. I realized at 7:40 I was going to be late, so I took the bike hoping I'd save time. About 2 km, or >1 mile, I realized how out of shape I was. I decided to leave my bike at Jean's office and walk the rest of the way to school. It's a good thing I did, because I went completely the wrong way and was totally lost, thank God for maps. I finally made it to school at 8:15, 15 minutes late. There are 4 other people in my class, a 30 year old woman from Los Angeles who will only be here a month, a man from Korea, a woman from Tokyo and a man from Saudi Arabia I think. They were all very nice, and the girl helped me out alot. I was in one class from 8-10 then I go to another from 10-12. I understood most of what was going on, but tomorrow I am staying late to catch up, because I am 6 classes behind.

After class I went to a bar, that didn't serve food so I got a coffee and then a glass of wine. From there I decided to go and change my dollars to euros. I walked into town, and stopped by a bakery to get a special galette for the epiphany today (to serve for dessert) and chocolate chip cookies (to serve for dessert another day). It was more than I expected, 15 euros, but I am sure since it is for the family I will get reimbursed. Then I went to almost every bank in town to exchange my money, they all said they couldn't. I remember in romania to exchange money you went to the bank, or at least I thought it was the bank. I didn't know much during my romanian voyage. I was getting discouraged so I stopped at a cafe for lunch. I got a special tarte they make in dijon, it had cheese, tomatoes and mustard, with a side salad and another glass of wine. I sat by the nicest lady ever, and even though she did not speak english, she helped me out alot! For dessert she told me to get cafe gormand which was a little creme brulee, chocolate moose and a shot of espresso. When eating it, I just about died and went to heaven. It was excellent! Mom, if your reading this, I expect it on every birthday from here on out, instead of cake :)! I paid and left.


At about the 5th bank I tried the teller told me to go to the post office to exchange money. I got to the post office, and sure enough, that was the right place. I waited in line for about 20 minutes before it was my turn. The teller didn't speak english but when I showed him dollars, he understood. Just so yall all know, the dollar sucks compared to the euro. I exchanged $120 dollars and got 84 euros. ick. From the bank I stopped by a small grocery store to get basil for my quiche for dinner. Then I walked home. I stopped to get my bike at the office and attempted to ride it home. I think Karissa was taller than me, so I have to lower the seat a tad. I finally got home, cold, wet from the rain, and super tired. I left my studio at 7:40 and got home 8 hours later. I have to get the children in a hour, but thats easy. I was invited to go to the pub tonight with fellow au pairs, so I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment