Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's

Yesterday as I was getting a sick Elsa ready for day care, she walked by my computer and pushed it off the table. Somehow that broke the hard drive. I promptly took it to the Apple Store, and still being under warranty, they pretty much replaced everything. So now I have practically a new computer. This is real. Not a joke. They neglected to tell me however that everything including my iTunes would be wiped clean. I am at a loss without my music, so if anybody is a computer genius out there and cam assist me in getting my music back, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Before my computer repairing adventure, i went to class. For the first 2 days, I thought it wouldn't be so bad, we actually learned useful things, like the names of people in families and such. Then the teacher hits us with the blah stuff. Verb conjugations. Yuck. I hope the next 10 weeks of this class isn't learning the craziness that is French verbs. They make me absolutely insane. After having 6 years of French prior to my move here, I must have learned it 100 times, and still I don't know it at all. Maybe this time it will sink in, I just don't understand why French can't be easy like English.

This blog may not be very coherent, I have the sleepy ha-ha's due to my inability to fall asleep at all last night.

So, I had to get the boys from school at 4. Travel home for the next 45 minutes, leave them at home, and go get Gabrielle from school, another 30 minute venture. I came to Paris, very American, where we drive to get our kids from school though it may only be a 10 minute walk away, and all of that. I am trying to open my mind and see the world through more French eyes, but still I think 2 hours of getting kids from school is a little ridiculous. There are much more efficient ways to do things.

Anyways, back home, Gabrielle went to dance and Benjamin went to tennis. With only 2 kids at home, life is so much easier. I bathed the 2, fed them and then J-F got home. 5 minutes later, and rapidly approaching the time I needed to leave at (I had dinner with a friend last night), Elsa needed a diaper change. She was for sure not going to have it. Screaming, thrashing, the whole sha-bang. I finally managed to pin her down long enough to get her diaper off, but couldn't hold her long enough to wipe her bum, so that fun got everywhere. She continued to scream, so I took her off the changing table, wiped her, and let her walk away to calm down before I put another diaper on her. She went over to the stair case, and sat down. After about 5 minutes, I went to her to try again to finish the change, and as I approached stepped in a puddle. She had sat on the stairs and peed. So now not only had she just gotten poo everywhere, now there was a puddle to be cleaned as well. Yet another verification that I won't be having kids for a long long time. After I finished the change and disinfected practically the whole basement (the kids and my room are in the basement), I was allowed to leave.

I had a lovely dinner with a new friend, a very smart one, who lent me an english book to read! Perfect timing, because I just ran out of material. On my way home, the metro closed right before I got to my change in the line, so I had to take a taxi from the Louvre back home. It ended up costing 13 euros, but the taxi man didn't have change, and I am oh so charming, so I only had to pay 10 euros. Despite their crazy driving, taxi drivers in Paris are some of the nicest people I have met.

It is yet another holiday I am celebrating in France, and yet again I doubt they ever recognize it. In their defense this one may be American, but when they didn't do anything for Mardi Gras... COME ON! I still haven't decided how I will trick the kids tonight.

XOXO,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment