Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter in the French Countryside and ect.

Its been a while since I've blogged, so I'll just start from the country.

We left late Friday night and got to the countryside by 10:30 pm. I was given a quick tour of the house. I got to pick from 4 rooms for which I would be staying in the duration of the weekend. I was expecting a little country cottage, but got a country estate, complete with 2 living rooms, a huge garden and all the fixings.

When I woke up Saturday, we had breakfast, then went into town to go to the market. The town was like Venice. (Or what I think Venice would be like, seeing as I've never been there). It was old and had canals everywhere. It was also the city where pralines were invented. I was informed that they even call it the Venice of France due to all the waterways. I was disappointed to know that no on actually used the canals anymore, this city had streets and sidewalks. So no Gondolas, but amazing all the same. We got veggies and cheese at the market, then went on to a supermarket to get the rest.

Out in the countryside, you either have markets and little specialty stores for example- butchers, fish mongers, cheese shops, bakeries, ect. Or you have HUGE super markets. Imagine a huge Walmart. Selling everything from groceries to outdoor furniture, and clothes to electronics. Where is the inbetween? It was interesting to not only go to the small scale market then jump to the huge supermarket all in the same morning.

We got back to the estate, and I sat down to a good old English book. It must have been the country air, because as soon as I sat down to read, I fell asleep and was out for a good 3 hours. What a nap! After all, napping is my favorite.

The rest of the weekend was filled with much of the same, reading, relaxing, all the things a good weekend away from Paris consist of. I even got to feed baby lambs from a bottle. How un-parisian can I get in one weekend? :)

Easter was nice, we went to church. There is something depressing about how I have experienced how the French celebrate holidays, or their lack of celebrating for that matter. On the other hand they would probably find it overwhelming the extent we go for holidays in the states. Maybe its a part of growing up, where holidays seem less celebrated, but especially so in France.

On Monday I decided to be brave and go for a walk before we left. I was given the most simple directions to follow for a nice 30 minute walk in the French countryside and still somehow got my self lost. Nothing like being lost in the middle of no where, with a phone that just ran out of minutes. I ended up retracing my steps and made it back to their house. Funny to look back on, not so much during the actual event.

On the way back to Paris we stopped in on Elisabeth's parents house. Her mom was a retired artist, and the house was full of amazing paintings. What a talented and fun lady. She was exactly what I imagine when I picture a retired artist grandmother. Fun and lively and way to cute.

Back in Paris, I just relaxed last night. Today I woke up and did laundry, while talking to the cat who likes to jump through my window. I had put of laundry for far too long, and realized I was completely out of clothes. The de Rostolan's don't have a dryer so I was at the liberty of rummaging through the clothes I never wear and decided on bright purple tights and a gray knit dress. Sometimes I don't know what I was thinking when I went shopping, but clothes is clothes, and who in Paris do I have to impress?

I went to trusty old Tuileries, and sat there reading for a good portion of the afternoon. It was rather crowded for a Tuesday afternoon and I sat by a young man with crutches. Since I was there for 3 hours or so, I got to see 3 of his girlfriends. It was like clockwork, one would leave, only to be replaced by another girl 15 minutes later, where he would begin to kiss and ect. (in France despite being in public, there is alot to the ect.) until she would get up and leave and another would come in. I know people like him exist everywhere, I have just never witnessed the bang bang bang of seeing all three of your girlfriends in public in the same spot you had been sitting all day. People watching is alot more interesting in Paris, because people are as open if not more in public. You get to dive into the lives of them, if even for an afternoon. Poor girls.

Still don't know what I will do tomorrow. Suggestions are appreciated.

XOXO,
Mandy

PS- While in the countryside, I got a voicemail from Gabrielle, listening I thought it would be like I miss you, wish you hadn't gone, but NO. She was wondering when I would get her the cell phone I bought here, because she wanted it. I won't be answering because I still do not know how to say never you spoiled brat in French. The girl is asking for an iPad for her 10th birthday (and will probably get it) and she is calling me on Easter to demand a stupid phone I bought. #1, no 10 year old should have a phone, #2, I quit there, partially because she was so awful so hearing from her to ask me for something was not welcomed.

PPS- I just received an email from Sandrine, letting me know a neighbor informed her that while they were away a young lady came to the apartment with me. She was concerned that not only had I not asked but also that a stranger should not have been allowed into the apartment. Don't know what I'll reply, but not only was I never told not to allow anyone in, its over and done with. I don't work there anymore, and there is no way Lucy (the young lady) posses any threat to them. I don't understand how these people think.

Anyways, home Sunday. Can't wait to be back!

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! I am trying to envision the countryside. I like the city OK, but I LOVE being in the country... trees, water, nature. It rejuvenates and grounds me in many ways. Having had this last experience is a perfect way to create a lasting memory. Texas hugs & love, Lois

    ReplyDelete