Friday, April 8, 2011

So you had a bad day.

I woke up and did the usual yesterday. Then went to class. Then had a mini picnic next to the Louvre before it was time to get the boys.

I was purposely late to school, because Samuel gets out 15 minutes before Benjamin, and if I am there on time, he runs wild outside. As soon as I got there Samuel's teacher started yelling at me, not for being late, but because Samuel hit a girl at school. A, I am not there at school to tell him not to, you are suppose to control him, B, I am not his parent, and C, I do not speak French so yelling at me in that language won't change anything. I finally just walked away, who was this woman to yell at me. I have taken alot of that abuse from angry French already in my short 3 months here, I do not need it when I am trying to get my kids and take them home.

The bus ride was fine, there have been worse rides. I think they were behaved because I forgot their sugar filled snacks, so for once they weren't on a insane sugar high with me. It also may have been because it was so hot, and their mom had dressed them like eskimos, they were to burnt up to misbehave. Whatever the reason, it wasn't bad.

Then at home it was the usual. Except Josephine was acting like she was sick or tired. She usually watches Elsa while I have the other 3 but yesterday, every time I brought her Elsa, she would wait 5 minutes and bring her back to me. It's hard, and illegal for me to watch all 4 kids at the same time. Apparently in the au pair rules, any kid under 2 is suppose to have their own nanny. I guess when you work for a family who had already broken so many of the au pair laws with me, in their mind, I am sure it's like, 'what's one more?' So I bathed them, dressed them and brought them up for dinner.

At dinner: Josephine and me always talk and complain as best we can about how insane this job is. Yesterday she was giving the kids ice and she said how much the grandmaw hates for the kids to have ice. Apparently she thinks ice is also a devil as is peanut butter.. whatever. And I laughed replying the day before when the grandmaw and grandpaw were over, the grandpaw had alot of ice. Just a fact. All of a sudden Gabrielle starts screaming at me; "don't make fun of my grandmother." I asked her what she was talking about, in my comment I didn't even say the grandmothers name. Josephine was slow to defend me, despite her start of this conversation. Gabrielle shook her head and informed me she was tell her dad I was talking about her grand mother. Fine, whatever. This was all during the 1st course. Now it was time for the main course. Josephine made everyones plates, and I made my own. I don't really know what the meal was, it was like baked cheese, with a side of mashed potatoes? I didn't get the mashed potatoes, but took 2 of the cheese things. On the kids plates, they had a heap of mashed potatoes, and 1 cheese thing. As soon as I sit down Gabrielle is right there at it again. You can't have 2 if I can't. I told her I could do whatever I wanted and she has no right to say anything to me. She didn't stop. I eventually threw my plate with 2 whatever's on it at her and stormed out.

On top of that situation at dinner, I was informed by Josephine that during the vacation, the family was hiring Lynn and her family to come stay here to watch me. They couldn't even tell me this themselves. AFTER 3 MONTHS THEY DON'T TRUST ME? I mean they trust me with their kids, but apparently their house involves more trust in someone than does kids. In all honesty I think it would be fun to spend some time with Lynn, and I am happy she is coming since I haven't seen here in a month, but there should be some protocol to it. Like sitting me down and saying we decided to ask Lynn to stay here, since you will be here too, what do you think about it? I don't know, anything but asking you cook to inform me.

After all that I was shut down, I didn't say another word to the kids or parents, and as soon as they were home and downstairs, I retreated to my room. When they get back from vacation I am going to sit them down and I am 75% sure that I will be quitting then, and going home. I am not lucky enough for this whole au pair thing. Everyone I know has great families, and I got 2 crappy ones in a row.

I woke up today and got the kids dressed. Fed them and all. Then J-F walks in and tells me they decided to let Lynn stay here while they are gone, because her apartment is half the size of their small kitchen. I replied flatly, "I know you seem to love to tell me that every chance you get," and simply walked out. I feel like rather than feeling like a saint to allow your slave to stay in you house for 1 week while you are vacationing in the alps, maybe you should pay her more so she can afford a bigger flat. Its like he thinks he's a god, when really, he is responsible as her employer for the conditions she lives in with her family. I don't know how he doesn't see that.

Today I am going out, finding something to fill my mind with. The family leaves in 24 hours, and I think that will be the best gift I have received in a long time.

XOXO,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment