Monday, April 18, 2011

If anyone wants to read what I will be giving J-F and S upon their return and offer any corrections to make it go smoothly.



Rough draft of what I will be giving J-F and S, don't feel obligated to read, but if you do, and have any advice, I would appreciate it! :






I would like to start off by saying, I am so grateful to you both for giving me this opportunity to live in the most beautiful area of Paris. When people ask me how I like living in Paris, I always answer, it's like a dream. I will take these memories I have made here, and cherish them for the rest of my life. Having said that, there are things about working here that I am finding it hard to cope with. When talking to friends and they ask me why don't I just leave, it is hard to explain the how I have grown to love Paris so much, and especially grown to love your children. That is why I have looked into the rules of being an au pair in France, and am proposing a schedule of when I work. In addition, to get back in time to focus on my schooling and apply to universities, I have decided to leave when Lynn returns, 20 June 2011, instead of at the end of July 2011. As this is my first job where a relationship with my employers is crucial, I have found it hard to voice how and why I am feeling overwhelmed. It is a learning process and something I will need to work on drastically as I grow into an adult. I do love your children, and see them as a part of my family, like 4 way younger siblings I never had. At the same time, it is hard to have a complete lack of authority with them, but as an au pair, that is something I will need to work on in the next 2 months. I know this all may seem very out of the blue, but that is my fault for not speaking up sooner. I would like to see if we can have weekly meetings to discuss what either of us are unhappy with from the previous week, in order to keep everything running more smoothly. In addition, by proposing this schedule I have come up with, and realizing my working hours will be cut drastically (but are now more close to the allowed 30 hours a week set forth by the French government for au pairs) I am willing to take a pay cut. This could change my pay from 85 euros a week down to as low as 60 euros a week if that would help to make to changes easier to accept. I would love to discuss this all with you both once the kids have gone to bed in the next few days. If you have grown unhappy with me here (after all, your decision to hire me as an au pair was very rushed) I would be more than understanding and work until you found a replacement then leave earlier than 20 June 2011. At this point, I know I am springing a lot on your already busy lives, but feel I could not go on even until May if things continue like they have been. Again I want to stress, I take most of the responsibility for this for failing to speak up sooner. I would love if from now on we could just simply communicate more, and feel like that would take a huge burden off my shoulders. I feel like all of the unhappiness we have experienced with each other these last 3 months stems from the lack of communication, therefore, leading to the lack of fulfilling expectations. I would love to hear both of your thoughts on this, and know that the schedule is just a proposal, I am open to negotiations.

Findings:
An au pair is a domestic assistant from a foreign country working for, and living as part of, a host family. An au pair takes on a share of the family's responsibility for childcare as well as in some cases light housework, and receives a monetary allowance for personal use. In Europe, au pairs are only allowed to work part time, and they often also study part time. The title comes from the French term au pair, meaning "on a par" or "equal to" indicating that the relationship is intended to be on of equals: the au pair is intended to become a member of the family, albeit a temporary one, rather than a domestic servant.

Rules in France:
-At least 60 Euros a week + a 20 euro contribution to language classes.
-In Paris most families provide a carte Navigo worth 60 euros a month.
-The au pair should have his/her own room.
-Works up to 5 hours a day, 5 days per week; babysits 2-3 evenings a week; receives 2 full days off & evenings off.

*all of this found on greataupair.com*

Proposed Schedule:
Monday 7:30-9:15 am, and 3:45-8:00 pm ~6 hours
Tuesday 7:30-9:15 am, and 3:45-8:00 pm ~6 hours
Wednesday 7:30 am - 8:00 pm ~ 12.5 hours
Thursday 7:30-9:15 am, and 3:45-8:00 pm ~6 hours
Friday 7:30-9:15 am, and 3:45-8:00 pm ~6 hours
Total hours worked a week = 36.5 hours

+ 2-3 night a week of babysitting if needed, told at least 3 days in advanced.

*Saturdays and Sundays completely off unless needed for evening babysitting.

--- When off, I am allowed to leave the house or retire to my room. ---

Valid until 20 June 2011. Where upon that date I will be retuning to Texas, USA to finish my studies.

Amanda Dunn







No comments:

Post a Comment