Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Never Leaving England

Ok, I have decided, there is no way I can go back to France after being in this amazing European country. Feel free to tell my employer that. :)  I love England. It feels half like America and half like Europe. It is hard to explain it, but I love it.

I landed and went through customs in England. Since I never finished my visa process in France, therefore do not have a completely valid visa, I was pretty nervous they wouldn't let me in England, but they did so NBD. Maybe I won't be allowed back into France at the end of this vacation, I can't say I would mind ;).

So in the car, I forgot that in England they drive on the other side of the road and the steering wheel is also opposite. That was a terrifying ride, only because it was so different. Before we came to Josh's house, we went onto base to get towels. Josh and his roommate only have 2 towels total in the house, such boys. The towel shop was closed, but we went to the supermarket on base. It was as if I stepped right back into America. All the products were American. I could have spent hours mesmorized by the products I hadn't seen in 3 and a half months. It's crazy what you don't realize you'd miss until it's not there anymore. Love it!

When we got back to the house, it was yet another example of how much I miss America. The fridge and pantry were full of American products. For dinner we made boxed mac'n'cheese and frozen pizza. Then we got ready to go out. I got to meet 3 of Josh's friends. We went to an English club. It was a great night! I had a blast. The pictures are on facebook. His friends are beautiful, I encourage you all to go look at them :)

This morning we woke up at 11, because we went to sleep at 5 am --you're only young once! I cooked breakfast - an American breakfast! Cheese eggs, bacon and eggo's! Yum yum. Then we went to base and successfully got a towel. Now I can shower! SCORE! Then we went to a village/city and visited Europe's smallest pub.  It was indeed small small. Tonight we went to a restaurant called the Hungry Horse (very much like Chili's). Very, very fun. Tonight we're taking it easy because we are possibly going to London tomorrow! If anyone has any advice on what we should see in London, feel free to comment.  Neither of us has ever been there before.

XOXO,
Mandy

2 comments:

  1. You think England is nice.... try Switzerland!! In London... go to Madame Tussaud's wax museum. See the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Take a tour on a double decker bus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2YkaLI/matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/2/

    I think you'll appreciate number 14 :]

    ReplyDelete