Friday, February 25, 2011

I do not speak French (much)

This morning was Lyn's last day on the job. I am really going to miss her.  She tells me stories that keep me going and laughs when I complain to her. I asked her how much she made working here, and she said 700 euro a month because she only works 20 hours a week, but Josephine makes 1,500 euro a month because she works more. Needless to say, I am shocked. I work what feels like 100 hours a week and get a mere 340 euro a month. Though I do not clean the entire house, and I get room and board, I feel like I deserve at least a little more. But I guess that, it is an experience type thing. When Lyn heard I only make 340 euro a month she was so shocked, she joked she was going into labor. Funny stuff. I got her number so we can do lunch.  She said she wanted to take me to the red light district for souvenirs. Haha, she's the best.

After lunch I took Samuel to get a haircut. We were running late, so I did not have much patience for the bus driver. I tried to get Samuel a ticket with his discount card, (Families with 4 or more children get discounts in France.  Refreshing concept to encourage procreation.  I like it.) and he charged me full price. Jerk. Then when I went to validate it he started yelling in French. I yelled back, I do not speak French, which prompted him to yell louder. Yay. That was no fun.

We got lost on the way to the haircut, I went to the Rue instead of the Boulevard, so I led Samuel on a 20 minute walk to get to the right place, practically dragging him there. He got a hair cut and it looked nice. 

Sandrine's mother took us home.  She's back from Israel with Gabrielle. So starting Sunday when Benjamin gets home, I will have all 4 kids every day again. But their vacation will be over and they will be in school again, so I will have my days off. YAY.

Shabbat dinner tonight, and 2 cousins are staying the night.  Hope all goes well. 

XOXO,
Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Mandy. You have to take into account rent and food and treat that as part of your salary. Lyn and Josephine have to use their salary to pay for both of those.

    Brace yourself for twice the kids!
    xoxox - Mums

    ReplyDelete